Welcome to the Nurse's Page.

Health Room Services

The Health Room is located on the first floor, Room 1 at T.M. Peirce Elementary School.  The school nurse, Mrs. Celio may be reached at 215-400-7020, voicemail is confidential and password protected.

School Health Services provided throughout the school year include review of required kindergarten and 6th grade physicals, kindergarten and 3rd grade dental examinations as well as state mandated immunizations, monitoring and developing school health plans for student with chronic illnesses and conducting screenings for growth, vision, hearing and scoliosis at designated times. The school nurse may also assist families seeking local primary health care providers or health insurance for their child. If your child needs counseling or behavioral health services, please contact Member Services at the phone number on the back of your child’s insurance card.

Medication will be administered only when a student requires the medication in school and it cannot be given outside of school hours, please see specific regulations and requirements related to medication in school below. Students may also see the school nurse for acute illnesses or injuries with a pass from the classroom teacher.

Parent/Guardian Responsibilities for Students’ Health Requirements:

·       Provide results of recent physical examination on entrance (kindergarten) and in 6th grade or upon transfer into T.M Peirce.

·  Provide results of a recent dental examination on entrance (kindergarten) and in 3rd grade or upon transfer into T.M Peirce.

·  Provide most recent immunization history and update immunizations as required by mandates when informed by the school nurse boosters are due.

·       Inform the school nurse of any existing health conditions that your child has by completing the Student Medical Needs Form each school year when issued or if your child develops a new health condition. This form also permission for your child to receive the standing order for acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Please check the appropriate boxes on the form and sign if want your child to have these medications should they be needed in school.  Please ensure that this form is returned to the school nurse.

·       Provide medication, supplies and written provider authorization (Medication Administration Form, MED 1) when a student requires medication or treatment in school. Emergency medications such as Albuterol and Epinephrine are especially important to have available in school.  It is impossible to predict when a student may need these treatments.  These types of medications should be available for any child who has a history of needing them in the past.

·       Update emergency contacts when they change, if your child is ill or injured we need to be able to contact you as quickly as possible.  We are not permitted to send ill or injured children home alone, someone must pick them up, please identify 2 responsible adults for this task in the event you are not able to pick your child up at school.

·       Ensure that your child receives follow up care at an appropriate provider when notified of a vision, hearing or growth screen failure.

Medication in School

When a student requires medication to function in school that cannot be administered outside of school hours, a parent may provide a supply of the medication to the school nurse in a pharmacy labeled container along with a Medication Administration Form completed by the healthcare provider and signed by the parent.  When all these requirements are met a student may receive the medication in school.  This process is the same when the medication is an over the counter medication.  Medication is to be dropped off at school by a responsible adult.  Students are not permitted to carry medication to, from or in school, unless it is an emergency medication that has been authorized to be self-carried by the primary care provider.

Students who experience a minor, non-chronic complaint of pain or discomfort may receive acetaminophen from the school district standing order, provided the parent or guardian has not opted out of this service. Female students who experience dysmenorrhea may receive ibuprofen from the standing order, when a parent has not opted out of this service.  Each of these medications is provided to alleviate discomfort so the student may attend classes.  Persistent and recurrent complaints will require authorization from the students’ primary care provider for repeated doses of medication.